A modern experience of excellence offering a supreme location paired with exemplary building practices.
Originally built in 1912, the mindful reconstruction of this showcase 5 bedroom, 4.5 bath home with approximately 4850 sq. ft. is designed to earn the prestigious LEED certification; a rare accomplishment by any builder. Eco+Historical, Inc., Eastwood Development and Winder Gibson Architects create magic in this masterpiece spanning 5 levels and offering 360◦ San Francisco views from the 5th story penthouse roof deck. The thoughtful redesign of this floor plan allows the home to be used as either a huge single family home or a home with a separate lower unit. All levels, from the garage to the roof deck, are serviced by an elevator PLUS the home boasts a 2 car Phantom Park Car Elevator that delivers your car into a 10’ quarry.
Utilizing the reverse floor plan to optimize on views and breathtaking light, a welcoming 8’ Pivot Front Door reveals a foyer leading to three generously sized, en-suite bedrooms. Facing the rear garden, the master bedroom houses a 7’ X 9’ walk-in closet, motorized custom shades and an opulent bathroom complete with dual shower heads, an Ethos Luxury Modern soaking tub, dual sinks and custom Clara Walnut cabinetry. This level has a laundry room with stacked high-efficiency front-loading washer/dryer and a hand washables sink.
Climb the stairs or hop in the elevator to explore the other levels. Going up? Welcome to the main social level with views of Dolores St., the Bay and Downtown directly from the living room. A built-in Ortal fireplace surrounded by cabinets and bookshelves plus custom recessed motorized shades provide classic and delightful comfort. The centrally located dining room offers unique storage options with a custom sideboard and liquor/tableware cabinet.
The well outfitted and sizable kitchen features a custom island, an array of top-of-the-line appliances and a stylish mix of traditional and open cabinetry and shelving. Flanking the kitchen is an inviting breakfast nook with a custom and handmade LED wood chandelier. Entertainment is forefront with a built-in 70” home theater with Sonos controlled 5.2 surround sound via invisible Stealth Acoustic speakers. A playful powder room and a walk-in pantry with 130 bottle Danby wine fridge finish this magnificent level.
Next level up, the enclosed penthouse offers more than just a transition between you and a roofdeck for the ages. Accessed via the rounded staircase or elevator and greeted with folding glass walls, a beverage fridge and sink, this special space guarantees to delight. Step outside to enjoy an 1150 square feet roof deck with built-in Stainless Steel 7’ Square spa, a kitchenette with gas BBQ, drought resistant foliage such as 12’ Olive Trees and a space to lounge and dine; a backyard on the roof. Ready? Up just a few more steps to ANOTHER 350 sq. ft. roof deck offering 360° city views plus a built-in gas fireplace. A True Wow-Moment. Experience the magic of being at the highest point on Dolores Street.
Finally, ride that elevator to the ground level to enjoy another entire living experience. Two bedrooms and a full bath plus another high-end kitchen, built-in home theater with a 65” TV and Sonos controlled sound via the invisible Stealth Acoustics speakers. High efficiency washer/dryer closet with hook ups. The living and dining room give way to the rear patio and garden planted with bamboo and Japanese Maples via a 12’ door. This floor can be accessed separately from the street, through the interior of the home or through the garage. This garage offers two car parking via a car elevator, a large storage/mechanical room and a bike storage.
A unique home is both a private retreat and a public statement. The Pivot Home demonstrates integration of thoughtful finish choices such as the warm Chestnut hardwood flooring, Natural Quartz Sierra Slab, radiant floor heating, and the use of local, sustainable and non-toxic finish materials.
Pivot in any direction to access a multitude of neighborhoods: Dolores Park, Noe Valley, Glen Park and The Mission.
Pivot toward a multi-generational home – all ages welcome!
Pivot on an eye toward the sustainable future.
Attention to the details
- Invisible hidden door hinges provide for clean lines throughout
- Provisioned with CAT6, whole-house WiFi + Sonos audio, two home theatres
- Invisible audio speakers throughout from Stealth Acoustics leave decor clean
- Whole home Google WiFi covers all 4 stories with a mesh network
- Both roof decks covered by a 12-speaker Sonos audio zone
- High powered USB outlets throughout the home for easy device charging
- Sculptural curved stair pivots from the Living Room to the Penthouse
- Originally built by a developer in 1912 – but design was a mish mash, so facade was removed
- Two legal units, #1156 and #1158
- Was 2750 sqft over a full footprint unfinished basement
- Started reconstruction Nov 2015
Flexible floor plan
- Redesign allows home to be used as either a single family home or as a home w/a lower unit
- Overall has 5BR/4.5BA
- Overall total of about 4850 sqft of living space (plus the garage)
- All levels served by elevator
- 2 Car Parking via a Phantom Park car elevator that drops one car into a 10′ deep pit cut into bedrock
- House is being designed to achieve LEED Certification by the US Green Building Council for exceptional focus on water and energy efficiency, use of local, sustainable and non-toxic materials
- All lighting is LED
- Smart lighting controls throughout
- Ultra-low flow (but effective) toilets, faucets, showers
- Non-toxic finishes
- All new insulated and low UV windows throughout
- Heavily insulated – including nearly 2X the roof insulation typically used
- Radiant heat throughout
- All plants selected for drought tolerance and watered automatically w/Rachio weather sensing/predicting controller
- All electrical, plumbing, foundations, windows, doors, floors have been updated
- Custom Phantom Park car elevator to stack 2 cars in the footprint of one
- Bike storage room
- Large storage/mechanical room
Ground floor “Unit”
- LR/DR w/12′ door to rear patio and garden, planted w/bamboo and Japanese Maples
- Built-in home theatre in the LR w/65″ TV and 5.2 surround sound via invisible Stealth Acoustics speakers
- Whole house audio over built-in speakers via Sonos
- Main entrance opens to foyer on floor with 3BR/3BA
- All 3BR have en-suite baths
- Laundry Room with stacked high-efficiency front-loading washer/dryer and hand washables sink
- Front bedroom and MBR have recessed motorized custom shades
- Large MBR is at rear of bedroom level with:
- 7×9 walk-in closet
- MBath w/dual showers, soaking tub, dual sinks, custom walnut cabinetry
Main social level
- Views of Dolores St, the Bay and Downtown from the LR
- LR with built-in Ortal fireplace and custom cabinets and bookshelves, custom recessed motorized shades
- DR with custom sideboard and liquor/tableware cabinet
- Very large kitchen w/10′ island, Liebherr fridge, Dacor 46″ cooktop, Bertazzoni oven and speed oven, dual sinks
- Built-in banquette for a breakfast nook
- Walk-in pantry
- 130 bottle wine fridge
- Powder room
- Family Room off of Kitchen with second home theatre w/70″ TV and 5.2 surround sound
- Sonos whole house audio throughout this level controllable from your phone
- Added heat pump for cooling for those hot days – just for the FR/Kitchen/DR and Penthouse
- The home originally had a Penthouse, so it was kept and rebuilt
- The height of the Penthouse roof is the highest point on Dolores Street
- Folding glass walls front and back with expansive and unobstructed bay, downtown, Sutro tower, Bernal Hill views
- Kitchenette with wine and beverage fridge and sink
- Cooling via a high efficiency heat pump
- Outside the Penthouse, the entire roof was converted to an amazing 1150sqft roof deck
- The roof deck features:
- Built-in BBQ
- Four 10′-12′ tall Olive trees
- Planters at the grade of the deck to make it feel like a back yard
- Dining area
- Seating area
- Lounge area with realistic artificial turf
- Built-in custom stainless steel 7′ square spa
- Stairs up to the Upper Roof Deck we added on top of the Penthouse
Upper roof deck
- Approximately 350 sqft (for a total of about 1500 sqft of roof deck)
- This is the highest point in this part of the city and has 360 degree city views
- Designed with a built-in gas fireplace